Bald Head Island
The Bald Head Island Lighthouse, often called Old Baldy Lighthouse, was built in 1817, making it North Carolina's oldest standing tower. This lighthouse replaced the first Bald Head Light (1795) that was destroyed due to beach erosion around 1813.
The Old Baldy Foundation owns and operates the Bald Island Lighthouse and the Smith Island Museum.
Established in 1794 by the federal government, the Cape Fear Lighthouse was a series of three structures, the last of which was a skeletal tower that was torn down in 1958 in favor of the Oak Island Lighthouse. All that remains are the large concrete footings.